Chicken & Corn Congee (Jook)
2 Chicken Legs (or breasts if you prefer)
1 cup white rice
8 cups water
1 can corn
4 cloves garlic, smashed
3 small leeks, chopped (only the whites)
1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh corriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsps soy sauce
Put rice in a bowl, cover with water and let soak for 1 hour, then rinse until the water runs clear and drain.
In a large soup or stockpot combine chicken, green onions, leeks, garlic, cilantro and 7 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is fall-from-the-bone-tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
Add rice to pot along with 2 cups of water (you want approx. 8 cups total). Bring to a boil and simmer stirring often until a porridge consistency. Add soy sauce and rice wine vinegar during cooking to taste. Shred chicken into bite sized pieces and discard skin and bones. Add 1 can corn and chicken to pot after 1 hour and simmer on low heat for another 30 mins, stirring constantly so the rice doesn’t burn. Serve and garnish with some chopped green onions & cilantro. Add soy sauce to taste.
Pasta with Artichokes, Zucchini & Green Olives
This light, delicious pasta is perfect for summer. All ingredients are beneficial for us in the summer season.
Artichoke hearts – 1 can (even better if you can get fresh)
Green olives with pimento – 1 cup
Zucchini – 1 medium, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Red wine vinegar – 1/4 cup
Fresh Oregano & Basil – 1 tbsp. each
Pasta – 1lb
Olive oil – 1/4 cup
Garlic – 6 cloves, smashed
Salt & pepper – to taste
Red pepper flakes – 1 tsp
Corn starch – 2 tbsp.
Water – 1 cup
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Add a tsp oil so pasta doens’t stick.
2. Wash, cut in half, then slice the zucchini
3. Drain artichokes, and slice. Take olives and slice in half
4. In heavy pot, add olive oil and heat on low. Add smashed garlic and stir so it doesn’t burn. Wash and add oregano and basil. Add red wine vinegar & water.
5. When water boils, add pasta.
6. Add zucchini, olives and artichokes and turn heat up to medium, stir constantly. Add salt.
7. Cover and let zucchini soften, about 10 minutes.
8. Once Zucchini is soft, add pepper, and more oil/red wine vinegar to taste if necessary. Add red pepper flakes.
9. Put corn starch in small glass and add enough water to cover. Stir. Add to sauce and keep stirring to thicken. About 2 minutes. Taste sauce and make sure it is delicious.
10. When pasta is done, drain and add into sauce. Stir well until all pasta is coated.
11. Serve and top with fresh grated parmesan or romano cheese if you wish. Enjoy!